Contact | Message Board | Bond Store | Site Map | Search

Welcome to the BondMovies.com Message Board!

You are currently viewing the board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
Go Back   BondMovies.com Message Board > Bond Discussions > Literature Discussion
Register FAQ Members List CalendarGameroom Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Want to get rid of the ads? Register for free!

William Boyd to pen new Bond novel set in late 1960s

Old Apr 11th, 2012, 08:50 PM   #1
JAMESHOT
Knighted 00 Agent

Gameroom Cash: $179110
JAMESHOT is an elite Bond informant.JAMESHOT is an elite Bond informant.JAMESHOT is an elite Bond informant.JAMESHOT is an elite Bond informant.JAMESHOT is an elite Bond informant.JAMESHOT is an elite Bond informant.JAMESHOT is an elite Bond informant.JAMESHOT is an elite Bond informant.JAMESHOT is an elite Bond informant.
William Boyd to pen new Bond novel set in late 1960s

William Boyd to pen new Bond novel set in late 1960sClick image for larger version

Name:	boyd.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	3332

(Reuters) - Suave and brutal British superspy James Bond will find himself in the thick of danger at the end of the swinging '60s in a new, official novel by author William Boyd due out next year.

The best-selling British novelist told Reuters on Thursday that he will put his knowledge of Cold War espionage to good use to pen the next adventure of the 007 character created by Ian Fleming, who has grown into a global book and film phenomenon.

Boyd is the third writer in recent years to be invited by the Fleming estate to write an official Bond novel. U.S. thriller writer Jeffery Deaver wrote "Carte Blanche" in 2011, and Sebastian Faulks' "Devil May Care" was published to mark Fleming's 100th birthday in 2008.

The author of "Restless", "A Good Man in Africa", "An Ice-Cream War" and movie and TV screenplays said the Cold War espionage genre runs through a lot of his writing. He has worked with three of the actors who have played Bond and has been close to the story since he was a boy.

"I never met Fleming, but I knew somebody who knew him very well and I've written about Fleming quite a lot and I actually put him in one of my novels," Boyd said.

"There's been a kind of Bond/Fleming motif in my life for a long time, so it's rather spooky and serendipitous."

While Boyd has sworn to keep the details and title of the next 007 adventure secret, he said the book will mark a return to the classic Bond character in his mid-40s who is navigating the end of the swinging '60s. He declined to be drawn into conversation on any of the countries Bond might travel to.

Boyd - whose latest novel "Waiting for Sunrise" came out in February - said his previous espionage-themed books and time spent in late 1960s London during his youth made him comfortable with the subject matter.

"I've written two novels that deal with espionage and quite a few of my novels have elements of plot that are to do with duplicity and covert operations," Boyd said.

The challenge for Boyd is to try and put his own stamp on a global franchise that has seen Bond leap off the pages into a film series that celebrates a high-tech contemporary character -- currently played by Daniel Craig -- and the official literary figure who remains closer to Fleming's original template.

"Inevitably, there will be a kind of Boydian element in the new novel," he said.

The book, which is yet to be titled, will be published in the U.K. in late 2013 by Jonathan Cape - Fleming's original publisher and an imprint of Vintage Publishing - and by HarperCollins in North America.

With the original James Bond movie "Dr. No" celebrating its 50th anniversary this year, and the release in October of new Bond film "Skyfall," there will be plenty of buzz to build on ahead of the novel's release.

The Bond catalogue is one of the most prized in publishing, with global sales totaling more than 100 million copies.

Ian Fleming's estate said earlier this year it had signed a 10-year deal with the Random House Group to publish the James Bond back list both in print and e-book format.

Boyd said the negotiations with the Fleming estate took a bit longer to finalize than his decision to take up the challenge when he was first asked to be the next Bond author.

"I should be so lucky was my instant response."
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 02:48 AM   #2
bond 007
Head of Station M

Gameroom Cash: $12910
bond 007 is an elite Bond informant.bond 007 is an elite Bond informant.
That totally made my day!

There is only one thing nearly as good as a new Bond film, and that is a new Bond novel!

Looking forward to it!

"Just a slight stiffness coming on"

!!!!Never Say Never Again is also a Bond Movie!!!!!

"Someone that you think that you can trust is just Another way to die"

"That is because you know what I can do with my little finger"

bond 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2013, 04:02 PM   #3
bond 007
Head of Station M

Gameroom Cash: $12910
bond 007 is an elite Bond informant.bond 007 is an elite Bond informant.
So, the name was revealed today: SOLO.

Hmm... I thought it unbondian at first... but I think it is growing on me....

can't wait to read it... I'll guess I'll buy it from amazon... though wether it is through Amazon.com or Amazon UK depends on the artwork ;D

"Just a slight stiffness coming on"

!!!!Never Say Never Again is also a Bond Movie!!!!!

"Someone that you think that you can trust is just Another way to die"

"That is because you know what I can do with my little finger"

bond 007 is offline   Reply With Quote